The Authority In The Church Of Christ
1. Christ has all authority over the church, for He is the __________
of the church (Eph. 1:22-23).
2. Christ's word is the only rule of Faith for Christians. "And
whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do ______ in the ________ of
the Lord Jesus ..." (Col. 3:17). "... him (Jesus) shall
ye hear in _____ things whatsoever he shall _______ to you. And
it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not _________
that prophet (Jesus), shall be ____________ from among the people"
3. Jesus delegated His authority to the apostles, saying, "Go
ye therefore, and ___________ all nations, baptizing them ...
Teaching them to observe _____ _________ whatsoever I have commanded
you ..." (Mat. 28:19-20). Therefore, the apostles' teaching
is the Gospel of Jesus (Luke 10:16).
4. The early disciples continued steadfastly in the ______________
____________ (Acts 2:41).
5. Christians today are not living under the law of Moses, which
ended at the cross of Jesus (Col. 2:14; Gal. 3:23-25). The Old
Testament Scriptures are, however, beneficial for us in learning
God's dealings with human race. "For whatsoever things were
written aforetime were written for our _____________..."
6. Paul says, "There is _______ body, and ________ Spirit,
even as ye are called in _____ hope of your calling; ________
Lord, ________ faith, ________ baptism, ________ God and Father
of all ..." (Eph. 4:4-6). Since there is only one Lord Jesus,
Who has given ONLY ONE FAITH, it therefore excludes all man-made
creeds, religious manuals and catechisms from the rule of Faith
in the church of Christ. Only Christ has the right to decree laws
for His Body (Eph. 1:22-23; 5:23)!
7. Jesus condemned the Pharisees, who substituted God's word by
their man made teachings, saying, "This people honoureth
me with their ______, but their _______ is far from me. Howbeit
in _______ do they worship me, ___________ for doctrine the commandments
of _______" (Mark 7:6-7). Any man who substitutes God's teaching
by man-made teaching has sinned against Him (Gal. 1:8-9; 2 John
Conclusion: The word of Jesus Christ is the only rule of Faith
for the church of Christ (Mat. 28:18-20; Eph. 4:4-6).